Let’s pretend for a minute that a man and his wife are in Alaska looking for grizzly bears. Looking in different directions, both of them spot a bear at the same time. The man whips out his gun and shoots the bear he sees just as his wife takes out a camera a takes a picture of a peaceful bear sleeping she has spotted. One of them is going to jail for breaking the law. Yes, it is the wife! Stupid, you say. Well, Alaska is not alone with stupid animal laws. I, therefore, present to you a list of laws that make you go hmmm…
- It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
- It is illegal to educate your dog. (Hartford)
- Any dogs with tattoos must be reported to the police.
- It is a crime for dogs to mate within 500 yards of a church. (Los Angeles)
- It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
- It is illegal to take a French Poodle to the opera.
- It is illegal to give lighted cigars to dogs.
- If you make ugly faces at a dog, you may be arrested, fined, or jailed.
- Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more.
- Hunting camels is prohibited.
- It is illegal to tie alligators to fire hydrants. (Detroit)
- You can’t walk a dog without dressing the dog in diapers first. (Temperance)
- Fights between cats and dogs are strictly prohibited. (Barber)
- It is illegal for elephants to plow cotton fields.
- If your dog barks after 6 pm, you can be fined and the dog impounded.
- It is illegal to keep an alligator in your bathtub.
- A policeman has the right to bite a dog to quiet him.
- You have one hour to notify the authorities, if you lose your pet tiger. (Canton)